Axis 3. Innovations in communication : devices, standards and uses
Responsible : Dominique Carré
Responsible 2 : Geneviève Vidal
Thématique 3 deals mainly with the study of the technical, organizational, sociological and communicational conditions of the emergence, dissemination and uses of innovations in communication: networking, standards of action, forms of social management, mobilization, data monitoring devices, mediations in different fields. The led researches have in common a focus on the innovations and communication devices which taking place in an intensive process of a fast industrialization, touching at the same time different kind of organizations and different industries.
The research uses a critical approach and it is based on 5 major lines :
– Social digitization policies: hyperconnectivity, platformization, datafication, algorithmization processes, artificial intelligence systems and economical stakes, regulatory, social and environmental issues.
– Communicational approaches of the social control and digital tracking: governance (networks and actors), profiling, traceability, self-disclosure and resistance).
– Digital mobilization and standards of communicational action : circulation of models and practices between the field of culture and communication industries and the social-political one.
– Industrialization process of communication: methods and tools for creativity and interface design.
– Uses, social practices and digital mediations of museographic, artistic, cultural, educational and heritage activities: audiences, policies and organizations.
Many research programs are led in partnership or within the framework of calls for projects from different organizations: “Communication, media and social links in the Mediterranean area. New media, new practices” (CNRS-IRMC); Digital arts and socio-professional positioning. Performing and digital arts (Labex ICCA); Modeling and simulation of heritage: for a critical assessment of digital apps and towards a digital policy and “sustainable” apps of heritage institutions (UDPN – Usages Des Patrimoines Numérisés – Idex-USPC); Digital communication devices, “Body fractures, digital fractures” research program (FEDER-MSHA), Research on connected objects in the health sector (ROCS-SHS): Study of supply and uses (MSH Paris Nord and AP-HP ); “Issues and effects of digital devices on the medical relationship” (GDT Santé, numérique et IA – Centre Internet et Société – CNRS et L’Institut « La personne en médecine » – Université de Paris); or even in the context of orders for studies about digital uses, particularly in the cultural field, such as Paris-Musées, Universcience.
The led researches give rise to many academic journal articles (Hyperconnectivity, Sociology of uses, Museum digital mediation, Digital surveillance) and several workshops and conferences (Blockchain, Digital and ecological transitions, Digital mediation, Digital arts, Open innovation and museums , heritage digitization and 3D).
Cultural, educational and creative industries: reconfiguration of sectors and emerging logics